This is not the usual steak on a plate. Mouth-watering charred - braaied steak that’s been cut into bitesize bits, resting on a bed of salsa. Try it out!
What you need:
500 g of beef filet
2 tots’ salt
2 tots’ sugar
125 ml butter
fresh rosemary and thyme
1 teaspoon worcester sauce
For the Salsa:
1 red pepper
1 red onion
½ tot Jan Braai Chipotle sauce
½ tot french style mayonnaise
salt and pepper
- Start by making a big fire in your 1000 deluxe patio freestanding charcoal braai, you’ll be requiring very hot coals for this recipe. Throw your red pepper and red onion straight into the coals until they are black and soft, now you can remove them from the fire and let it cool down, before removing all the outer black parts. Use a sharp knife and cut your pepper and onion into small chunks.
- Mix the sugar and salt together. Season and rub your beef fillet all over and let this rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes have past, use paper towel and gently wipe most of the sugar and salt mixture off the meat. Cut the fillet into 4 smaller pieces.
- Let’s melt butter in your Megamaster 260 round pan with fresh thyme and rosemary and place the pieces of fillet into the pan with the melted butter making sure they are covered all over.
- Braai the pieces of fillet pieces over very hot coals make sure it is charred and braaied on all sides for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the fire and let this rest properly for about 10 minutes.
- While the fillet pieces is resting on the side, mix the pepper, onion and mayonnaise together and season with salt and pepper.
- Use your sharpest knife and cut the steak into very small pieces of about 1 cm blocks. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, Jan Braai chipotle sauce and a little bit of Worcester Sauce.
- Use a cookie cutter and place a layer of your red pepper and onion, top with a layer of the beef fillet blocks.
- Garnish the dish with spekboom and small flowers. Take a bunch of fresh thyme, let the edged catch fire in your braai, place this smoking thyme on your plate next to the fillet, cover with a bowl that is big enough and let the smoke add more flavour to your dish.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Prepare a quick traditional tomato and cucumber salad, for a refreshing taste.
To bulk up your dish, why not add a little starch, rice, or potato.
Do you have some leftovers? Combine it with a pasta of your choice and to spice it up a bit, add one of Jan Braai’s sauce varieties.