For the best Pulled Pork Nachos that you will ever taste, you should definitely try this recipe out! The recipe was created by An Earthen Life who said “The recipe was so much fun to make and was even more fun to eat. You need a nice fatty piece of pork to work with so that it doesn’t get dry with the long cooking time.”
For the pulled pork:
- 2 kg pork shoulder/leg
- 2 oranges
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 dried chipotle pepper (Optional)
- Olive oil
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red or white onion
- 2 chillies
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 small bunch of coriander
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
For the nachos:
- Tortilla chips
- Cheese for melting
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Make a small charcoal fire in your off-set smoker and once your coals are ready, add your woodchips that have been soaking for half an hour. You will know your coals are ready when they are covered in grey ash.
- Preheat your smoker to a steady temperature of 125 °C
- Place a foil tray with water directly under the main cooking grid, and position it where you are going to place the piece of pork, this is to add moisture to the meat.
- Mix the spices, salt, juice of one of the oranges, and olive oil together and rub it all over the pork.
- Slice up the other orange and lay it on the pork with the chili and wrap it in foil.
- Place it on the grid and allow it to smoke for 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and place the meat back on the smoker, allow it to further cook until the meat is falling off the bone, this will take between 6-8 hours.
- Continuously check every 1 to 2 hours, remember the more you open the lid the more hot smoke escapes.
- When you check your pork, you need to make sure there are enough coals and woodchips.
- While the pork is cooking, rub olive oil over tomatoes, onion, chillis, and garlic.
- Place it in your cast iron pan and place it on the grid next to the pork.
- After about 45 minutes add the rest of the salsa ingredients and blend together.
- Once the pork is cooked lay out the tortilla chips in an oven-proof dish and cover with grated cheese and pop it on the grid to melt.
- While the cheese melts use 2 forks to shred the meat and discard the bone and fat.
- Add a little seasoning if needed and top the cheesy nachos with the pork and serve with the salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Change it up and replace the pork with smoked chicken.
If you are not a fan of Tortillas you can swap them out and rather use Doritos.
If you don’t like hot food, rather remove the chilli and jalapeno.