Serving size is your friend, because who hasn’t gone in for an extra spoonful of potato bake? We suggest flipping your potato bake on its side instead of layering it with slices on top of each other. This way, you can keep the size of a baked potato in mind when dishing up a serving for yourself. The top half of potato (or even sweet potato as an alternative to potatoes) slices will be baked crispy with the bottom half creamy and soft with this potato bake recipe.
3 medium sized potatoes
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
100 ml Fresh Cream
Salt & pepper to taste
1 red onion
5 ml oil or butter
½ cup cheddar cheese
Chives and basil to garnish
- Preheat your gas braai (with the lid closed) for about 10 minutes till 200-250°C. A charcoal fire will take longer to get the coals ready for your potato bake. Make sure to start 20-30 minutes in advance.
- Wash potatoes and sweet potatoes thoroughly and cut in half lengthwise.
- With the flat side down, cut all the potato and sweet potato halves in thin slices. Set aside.
- Finely dice red onion.
- Grease a Megamaster 260 Round Pan with the oil or butter to ensure your potato bake doesn’t stick to the base.
- From the outer edge, start filling your pan with the slices of veg. Alternate the slices between potatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Make sure to balance them upright. Once your outer edge is finished, continue in the center with a spiral shape until all the slices are finished.
- Pour the fresh cream evenly over all the slices and add the diced red onion.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top off with grated cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil, place on the braai, and cook for 35-45 minutes until soft.
- Garnish with fresh chives and basil.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Add heat to your dish with diced jalapenos or chilli flakes.
Cheese lover? Swap out the cheddar with mozarella, Feta, or gourmet hard cheese.
Add diced chorizo or bacon for a delicious meaty twist.