4 cups cake flour
1 cup bran flakes (grounded)
½ cup ground pumpkin seeds (you can use any type of seed in your pantry)
½ cup ground almonds
2 tbsp baking powder
2 cups milk or water
Pinch of salt
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Slowly add the liquid, folding it into the dry ingredients to form a dough mixture. Take care not to stir the mixture too much, to ensure it rises well.
- Add something yummy to the mixture for extra flavour, like sweetcorn, dates, raisins or chocolate chips.
- Rub the inside of a cast-iron bread pot with butter or olive oil and transfer the dough into the pot.
- Put the lid on the pot, but inside out. Place some hot coals on the upturned lid, to ensure the bread bakes from the top as well.
- Bake over medium coals for 35 - 45 minutes. Ensure your pot is positioned high enough over the coals so that the bread bakes slowly and does not scorch.
- If you are using your oven or gas braai, preheat to 180 °C, then bake for 45 minutes.
- To test if your bread is done, insert a kebab stick. If it comes out clean, your bread is ready.
- Turn the bread out on a bread rack and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Before baking, brush dough with oliveoil, then sprinkle with coarse sea saltand rosemary. This will give you adeliciously crusty, yeast-free breadwith a Mediterranean flavour
Take this easy bread recipe to the nextlevel by mixing in whole corn kernels,then top with grated cheddar cheeseand rashers of bacon before baking.
Brush the dough with olive oil, thensprinkle with a mixture of sesame,poppy, pumpkin and sunflower seedsbefore baking. This will give you anutty, crunchy and super-deliciousbread that is also healthy!