1 packet 500 g diced butternut
2 onions – sliced
2 cloves garlic – chopped
8 sprigs of thyme
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 cup of balsamic vinegar
½ cup of sugar
½ cup of water
¼ cup of sultanas
2 packets of boerewors (400g each)
seasoning of your preference
1 packet of skewers, soaked in water for about an hour (this prevents them from burning)
- Preheat your Megamaster gas braai to 200ºC.
- Place the cut-up butternut on a large foil tray, drizzle with olive oil, and season.
- Place the tray in the gas braai with the lid closed and cook for 25 -30 minutes until golden, once done set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pot and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and thyme and fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, and tomato paste until sticky.
- Add in the butternut, vinegar, sugar, water, and sultanas and cook further for 20-25 minutes.
- Roll the boerewors into pinwheels and secure with the skewer.
- Braai the boerewors to your liking and serve with the butternut relish.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Change it up, If butternut isn’t your favourite, then rather use sweet potato. Its sweet earthy taste makes a great substitute.
Say no to dry wors. The secret to not overcooking your wors is braaiing it on medium heat while using tongs to turn the wors regularly to ensure an even heat distribution.
Rest your meat - To keep your wors juicy make sure you allow it to rest for a few minutes before serving. This gives the moisture a chance to sink back into the meat and ensures none of the precious juices are lost when you cut it open.