1 whole sirloin (3-5kg)
20g Maldon, or normal salt
40g coarse black pepper
50g brown sugar
100ml whole grain mustard
100ml truffle oil
FOR THE SMOKE
150g oak chips - about a handful
20 bay leaves
20g cumin seeds
10g smoked paprika
10g ground nutmeg
20ml truffle oil
- Marinade the sirloin with dry ingredients and truffle oil. The longer, the better.
- Start the fire in your smoker. Once the coals are white and glowing, add the smoke mix. Don’t use more than 3kg of briquettes.
- In the offset-smoker, sear the sirloin fat-side down for approximately 3 minutes on each side at high heat.
- Once done, put the sirloin into the main smoker and smoke for 3.5 - 4 hours, depending on how smokey you want it. (See Tip 1)
- Once the wait is over, serve this smokey dish with cornbread and BBQ sauce topped with wild rocket.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Pro Chef Tip: 110°C as the perfect smoking temperature – low and slow. Check every 30 minutes, bearing in mind that every time you open the grill, you lose heat. So be quick.
Marinate your sirloin overnight for the best results.
You can now get oak and cherry wood for smoking from Megamaster