No gathering is complete without a delicious dessert to end the meal. But we’re not talking just any dessert. We’re talking about our unforgettable date and pecan nut dessert made in a potjie pot on your fire. It’s time to really impress the family!
- 250 g dates, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup of boiling water
- ½ cup of butter, melted
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of fine ginger
- 100 g of pecan nuts, roughly chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Chop the dates and add them to your Enamel Series Round Braai Pot with the bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the butter and sugar to the dates.
- Mix well and allow to simmer at low heat on your gas braai, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, add the eggs, and mix well.
- Add what’s left of the batter ingredients and mix well.
- Cover your potjie and cook further on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the toffee on your side burner of your patio gas braai in the Enamel Series Round Braai Pot and bring it to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the toffee sauce over the dessert and allow the sauce to drain.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Check the bake of the dessert by inserting a small knife. If the blade comes out clean, it’s ready.
The sauce is ready when it’s smooth and has a rich toffee colour.
Serve with cream, ice cream or custard for the best result.