3 large beef short ribs
Salt and pepper
For barbecue sauce:
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
½ cup cola
½ cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
¼ cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons honey
- Soak a handful of cherry wood chips in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your Megamaster Coalsmith Series Alpha Grill & Smoker to 110℃. Add wood chips once coals are hot.
- Coat short ribs in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place bone side down on preheated smoker. Smoke for 6-8 hours, basting with barbecue sauce every hour.
- Wrap ribs in aluminium foil and rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened (about 30-40 minutes).
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
After the first 2 hours of braaing, to prevent the meat from drying out, spritz with a mix of 1 cup water and 1 cup apple cider vinegar every 30 minutes.
You can dry brine the short rib for at least 2 hours or longer in just salt. This enhances the flavour and tenderises.
You can also add oak wood chips for a great smoking flavour on the meat.