A new braai dinner idea, that’s different from chops, boerewors or chicken sosaties. Our smoked chicken pot pies are delicious, easy to make and is that hearty meal you need on a cold, dark, loadshedding winter’s night.
Puff pastry rolls *Top tip: You can easily get 4 portions out of one roll just to cover the top of your pie. If you want to line your potjie with pastry, you will get 2 portions out of one roll.
Readymade cook-in-sauce of your choice
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 Tablespoon butter
- Using a seasoned Megamaster Quarter Potjie, butter the insides and the lid of your potjie.
- Option 1 pastry top: Unroll your readymade puff pastry roll and cut into 4 square pieces.
- Spoon your left-over chicken into the buttered potjie. Make sure to debone and dice the chicken into small pieces. You can add any readymade sauce of your liking to the chicken.
- Place your pastry lid on top, and brush with your lightly beaten egg.
- Add Megamaster Wood Chips to your ready coals just before you place your pies on the braai for another depth of smokey flavour.
- Bake for 20-30minutes in your braai,lid closed, till the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Option 2 pastry lined: Unroll your readymade puff pastry roll and cut into 4 pieces. Use 2 pieces for each pot.
- Line one piece in the bottom of your potjie, all the way to the edge. You can stretch it a little to fit.
- Follow steps 3 to 5.
- Bake for 30-45minutes in your braai, lid closed, till the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Add the lid of your potjie too for a faster cook, just make sure to butter the inside of it too!
- Serve with a fresh garden salad, right in your potjie. You can warm up the remainder of the cook in sauce as a gravy over the pie.