3 - 4 kg brisket, flat
¼ cup of sea salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons chipotle pepper flakes or smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
½ cup apple juice
½ cup apple cider vinegar
butcher’s paper or foil
- On a large baking sheet, lay out your brisket and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the sea salt, pepper, chipotle flakes, onion, and garlic powder. Mix and rub over the entire brisket and let it sit for an hour.
- In the meantime, start your fire and set up your smoker for indirect heat, build your fire to one side or in the firebox, and get it up to a steady 125°C. Place a drip pan under the braai grid in the indirect heat zone. Place another pan on the grid next to the firebox and fill it with 8 cups of water.
- Place the brisket above the empty drip pan. Smoke for 6 hours or until the brisket meat is dark. Add more wood every hour or so to maintain the fire.
- Combine the apple juice and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the brisket every hour when you add wood. Work quickly so you don’t let heat or precious smoke escape.
- After 6 hours, remove the brisket and wrap tightly in butcher’s paper or foil. Return the brisket to the smoker for another 2 - 3 hours refreshing the wood every hour.
- Once the internal temperature of your brisket reaches 93°C remove it from the smoker and allow it to rest, unwrapped, for up to an hour.
- Once rested, slice against the grain and serve with your favourite BBQ sauce and sides.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
For the best results slice the brisket against the grain.
Have any leftovers? Try a delicious brisket bun with crunchy coleslaw and BBQ sauce!
Finish off your brisket with a rustic, herby potato salad.