- 6 fillet medallions
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of crushed black pepper
FOR MUSHROOM SAUCE
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 250 g mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons of brandy
- 100 ml fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 300 g baby spinach leaves
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of toasted cashews
- 150 g crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons of pomegranates
FOR RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
- 80 ml of olive oil
- 70 ml of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Light squeeze of lemon juice
- Fire up your Megamaster gas braai with only one of the far left or right burners on low.
- Lightly rub the fillets with olive oil and roll the sides in the crushed peppercorns.
- Place the fillets on the braai on the opposite side of the lit burner, away from direct heat.
- Season the steaks.
- Close the lid and let it cook at a low temperature of 110-120oC.
- For rare to medium-rare results, cook steaks until the thermometer reads 50oC (Internal temperature).
- Remove steaks and preheat the ceramic searing side burner.
- Brush the steaks with a bit of olive oil on the flat surface of the the meat.
- Cook them on the searing side burner for 2-3 minutes per side or until a nice crust forms.
- Remove the steaks and let them rest for 2 minutes.
- Melt the butter in your Megamaster 260 Enamel Pan and add olive oil, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until soft and slightly browned.
- Add a splash of brandy, using a Braai Lighter (with a safety lock) to ignite the alcohol.
- Add the fresh cream and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a light boil, reduce heat and let it simmer until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Add the freshly grated parmesan and chopped parsley just before serving.
SALAD & RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
- Combine all the ingredients of the salad in a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients of the vinaigrette and shake/stir well.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad just before serving.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
A few minutes on a ceramic searing side burner sears steaks to juicy perfection.
Flambéing the mushroom sauce quickly burns off the brandy but adds additional aroma and flavour.
For perfectly toasted cashew nuts, coat them with a bit of oil and salt, and roast them in the oven at 180oC for approximately seven minutes or until lightly browned.