Warm up your winter with this mouth-watering Fynbos Mild Chilli Potjie and enjoy some quality family time while the potjie is cooking. This recipe was created exclusively for Megamaster by Fynbos Fine Foods, showcasing their range of sauces and spices.
45 ml Oil
1 kg stewing beef, cubed
3 onions, peeled and sliced
2 large ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
100 ml tomato paste
1 cube meat stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Fynbos Smotherings of Afrika
Worcester sauce to taste
2 tablespoons (be generous) Fynbos Lemon and chilli sauce
Optional: season vegetables; carrots, green beans etc
- Light your fire. It will take a while for the coals to get ready, so get it going before you start preparing your ingredients. If you’re using a gas braai, preheat your braai to 180° C. Keep the lid of your braai closed to not lose the heat.
- Heat your oil in your potjie pot.
- Brown the meat cubes, in batches.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and Smotherings of Africa and then set it aside.
- Place the onions in the potjie pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, meat cubes, tomato paste, dissolved beef stock, and the Worcester sauce.
- Close the lid and let this simmer on a low heat for 1.5 hours until the meat becomes tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to add to the taste.
- Add the lemon and chilli sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes add extra water if the pot boils dry.
- Serve with rice and a tasty salad.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Add some of your favourite vegetables, potatoes, peppers, baby marrow, spinach, or mushrooms to add to the taste.
You can choose any side to serve with your potjie, for example, couscous, pap, vetkoek, rice, or homemade bread.
Change things up a bit, try a beetroot and feta cheese salad with a yoghurt dressing.