12 sheep tails (skaapstertjies)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
6 tablespoons honey
1 cup brown vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
5 cloves minced garlic
For caprese skewers:
Assorted baby tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh mini mozzarella balls
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Place the sheep tails in an oven-safe casserole dish with all the ingredients except the lemon. Cook for 2 hours until they are soft and tender.
- Preheat your braai to about medium heat and slowly cook the sheep tails until they're golden with crispy bits (about 10 minutes).
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top just before serving.
- Skewer the tomato, mozzarella and basil leaves, alternating the ingredients.
- Drizzle basil pesto over them just before serving.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
The secret to the success of this recipe is in the slow cooking pre-braai. Be sure to build in enough time to ensure the sheep tails are tender and falling off the bone. This step can be done the day before if necessary.
For hungry guests, follow Pietman's lead and add braai broodjies to the mix. Anything goes but the traditional fillings are tomato, cheese and onion.
Want to make your own basil pesto? Simply throw a mix of basil leaves, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice into a blender.