Let’s kick it up a notch, impress your guests, and braai some crayfish on your Megamaster Apex 4 burner served with gnocchi… delicious.
4 crayfish tails
salt and pepper
For the gnocchi:
1 kg (about 6) potatoes
2 cups white bread or cake flour
½ cup parmesan cheese
1 tot fresh chives (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (chopped and crushed)
Jan Braai peri peri sauce
french style mayonnaise
fresh chives for garnish
- Make the gnocchi: Bake the potatoes in your gasbraai or oven. You don’t need to add oil or salt, as you just want the soft cooked inside in the end.
- Once cooked, let the potatoes cool down and peel off the skins and mash the soft inside of the potatoes very finely with a masher or a fork.
- Add the egg to the cooled-down mashed potatoes and stir it in with a fork until everything is mixed.
- Now wash your hands and add the parmesan cheese, chives and one cup of flour, then properly mix it into the mashed potatoes with a clean hand. Next, add the other cup of flour and properly mix that into the mashed potatoes as well.
- Once you have a firm, soft piece of ‘potato dough’, take a ball or chunk of dough at a time and roll it into a sausage shape on a floured cutting board. Basically, each piece should look like pieces of lily-white, thin boerewors.
- Now cut the potato dough sausages into smaller pieces of about 2 cm each and gently roll each piece in flour. You need to coat each piece lightly in flour, otherwise they will all stick to each other.
- Get a pot of water boiling on the fire. Add the gnocchi to the boiling pot of water.The gnocchi will cook very quickly, in about a minute or two. Each individual one will start to float on the surface as soon as it’s ready.
- Scoop the cooked gnocchi into a strainer, or use a slotted spoon and let them rest in a plate.
- Heat the oil and garlic in your pan and fry the gnocchi on both sides until brown and crisp.
- Cut the tails in half with a very sharp knife or scissor and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Braai the tails over hot coals, first with the flesh side facing the heat, and then for a few minutes longer with the flesh side facing upwards,
- Mix the Jan Braai Peri Peri Sauce with the mayonnaise.
- Serve the gnocchi at the bottom of your plate, top with the crayfish and a serving of your Peri mayo. Dress the dish with the melted butter that you fried the gnocchi in and sprinkle over fresh chives.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Add more flavor for the finishing touches. Add butter, lemon juice, and/or hot sauce
Change it up, you can do the same recipe with prawns or with white fish.
You can spice your crayfish up with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, oregano, thyme, and other herbs.