Tarryn Gabi de Kock, Masterchef South Africa 2022 Finalist, shared one of her favourite recipes with us. Braaied Harissa Lamb Ribs which are super tasty and such a great choice, it’s the perfect spicy punch. Everyone will rave about this recipe, give it a try. Thank you Gabi for sharing this succulent and flavourful recipe it’s definitely one of our favourites.
750 g lamb ribs
Harissa (powder form): 1 tablespoon each caraway, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, and chilli powder
1 teaspoon of crushed ginger
2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
2 teaspoons of crushed chilli
4 tablespoons of lemon juice (optional: zest of 1 lemon)
1½ teaspoons of cumin
1½ teaspoons of smoked paprika
2 tablespoons of honey
- Clean lamb ribs of any excess fat or sinew.
- Fire up your side burner on your gas braai.
- Fill a saucepan with water up to ¾ full. Add a teaspoon of each garlic, and ginger. Also, add two tablespoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of each of the cumin and paprika. Bring to the boil, then add two tablespoons of harissa and stir vigorously. Sprinkle in salt.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the lamb ribs. Cook for 45-55 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine three teaspoons of harissa with the remaining cumin and paprika. Make a paste with the two tablespoons of lemon juice (add lemon zest here if using) and the honey. Add the remaining garlic and chilli (a teaspoon each).
- Remove the ribs, take them out of the stock using tongs, and place them in a bowl big enough to move them around in.
- Add the marinade and a few spoons of the stock. Use your judgement here – you want the sauce to still be thick and coating the ribs. Add a sprinkle of salt, though not too much as you will be topping the ribs with salt as well.
- Preheat your gas braai to 220 °C. Put the lamb ribs on the braai, spacing them out evenly, then baste the ribs with the remaining sauce. Lightly sprinkle salt on the ribs. This will help the fat to render.
- Cook the ribs for 10-15 minutes until they are beautifully rendered and have good char marks. Remove from the braai and enjoy.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Enjoy with a creamy condensed milk potato salad.
If you are pressed for time, ask your butcher to cut the ribs into single pieces they will cook faster.
Keep basting and turning the ribs regularly to allow the ribs to become sticky and glossy.