There is nothing like a warm, just served of the grill, homemade roosterkoek. Then to top it all, compliment it with a buttered tongue and covered with indulging Jan Braai Prego sauce.
1 whole beef tongue (the packaging will most likely say corned/pickled beef tongue)
salt and pepper
125 ml salted butter
4 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped.
1 kg White bread flour
625 ml water (2 ½ cups)
1 packet instant yeast
1 tot Salt
1 tot sugar
Fresh tomato slices
Fresh butter lettuce
Jan Braai Prego Sauce
- How to make the roosterkoek: Combine salt, flour, and yeast. Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Add the water to the flour, mix and knead until the dough is smooth and glossy. Slowly add the butter to the dough and mix until fully combined.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and wrap it. Leave it to prove until it doubles in size. Overnight in the fridge is great if you have the time.
- Use your hands to form the roosterkoek, (here’s a tip,by oiling your hands first, will help to keep the dough from sticking to your hands). Prove until doubled in size and braai on the freestanding charcoal braai on a medium high heat.
- Slice the tongue into portions and season with salt and pepper. Braai the tongue steaks over hot coals for about 4 – 6 minutes. if tong, is not your favourite type of meat, you can use any other meat as a filling as well, rump steak, chicken, ostrich etc.
- In our Megamaster round pan on the side, heat the butter, garlic, and thyme together and set aside to slightly cool.
- Let the steaks rest in this pan with butter while you get all your other ingredients ready.
- Serve the tongue as a filling with the roosterkoek, add a slice of tomato, lettuce, and a generous amount of Jan Braai Prego sauce.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Make your prego roll extra spicy with added chilli flakes in the tongue steaks.
When serving, add caramalised onions as a topping on your prego roll for extra flavour.
For the best flavour, serve with a homemade sweet honey mustard.