Also known as The Novice Cook, Nozipho Khumalo has long been tantalizing our taste buds with her Insta feed (@cooking_with_nozi). Here, she shares her colourful pepper chicken recipe, cooked in a cast iron Megamaster Round Pan. The secret is in the sauce but also in how to master that golden hue.
Approximately 8 chicken thighs and drumsticks (skin on)
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 tablespoon Royco black pepper sauce
- Coat chicken thighs in black pepper and place in a cast iron pan. Sautè in olive oil over medium heat, turning frequently until chicken is no longer pink.
- Drizzle soy sauce over chicken pieces and turn to brown pieces on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add garlic and fry for about a minute.
- Add peppers and sautè.
- Add in paprika and stir until all ingredients are nicely combined.
- Add stock and chicken thighs and allow to simmer gently until chicken is cooked through.
- Sitr in pepper sauce and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with rice (optional).
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Make sure to not skip the browning of the chicken as it enhances its flavour, seals in moisture as well as gives the final dish a delightful golden colour.
Don’t submerge the chicken in the stock during simmering but rather add stock in small batches. This will maintain the chicken’s lovely golden colour.
To ensure your veggies retain their bright hue and nutrients, the trick is not to overcook them.