1.8kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
1 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
1/3 cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup tomato sauce
½ tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin spice
1 teaspoon Sriracha, adjust to taste
½ - 1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup chicken broth
green onions, sliced for garnish
- Place the chicken pieces in a large self-sealing bag and season.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, Sriracha, tomato sauce, ginger, cumin, lemon juice and garlic.
- Pour marinade into the self-sealing bag with the chicken. Thoroughly mix so the chicken is covered with marinade.
- Seal and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 3 hours, or overnight for best results.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge, and carefully drain. Set marinade aside.
- In a small saucepan simmer the remaining Huli Huli marinade for about 5 minutes.
- Adjust taste with chicken broth, pepper and/or tomato sauce. If you want a thicker sauce, add more tomato sauce.
- Braaiing: Oil your braai grate and add chicken. Braai for about 10 - 15 minutes each side. Baste with cooked marinade towards the last 5 minutes of braaiing.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Serve your Huli Huli chicken on skewers with diced pineapple, fresh herbs and sticky BBQ dipping sauce.
Use the same Huli Huli marinade for tasty, Hawaiian inspired pork chops.
Make a simple salad using diced leftover Huli Huli Chicken pieces, lettuce, red onions, yellow peppers, feta cheese, and diced mango. Serve with a simple vinaigrette.