Foodie and author Naqiyah Mayat created this tasty chicken rotisserie recipe for Megamaster in celebration of Heritage Day. She says: "If you're fairly new to making a roast on a braai, Megamaster's rotisserie feature makes the first experience less intimidating. I really love how simple it is: simply allow the braai to do all the work. Remember to braai on a medium heat as chicken requires a longer time to cook. Regular basting helps to keep the chicken juicy."
For harissa chicken:
1 whole chicken
10 dried red chillies
2-6 fresh red chillies
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
4 teaspoons ground garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes
1 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil (to create a paste)
For tahini carrots:
2 punnets of carrots
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons tahini
Fresh parsley or coriander
For honeyed sweet potatoes on whipped feta:
1 bag of sweet potatoes, boiled until firm
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
3 rounds of feta cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons double thick yoghurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pomegranates for garnish
Fresh herbs of your choice
- Soak the dried chillies until they soften.
- Add the fresh red chillies, garlic and sundried tomatoes, and grind into a paste.
- Stir in the balance of the ingredients.
- Make slits in the chicken and rub the paste all over. Remember to rub under the skin if using chicken with skin on (preferable).
- Thread chicken onto the rotisserie of your Megamaster Apex Series 6 Burner Patio Gas Braai. Braai on low heat with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Baste with melted butter and continue to braai until done.
- Serve with tahini carrots and honeyed sweet potatoes on whipped feta.
- Toss the carrots with honey and seasoning. Place on the braai towards the last 10 minutes of the chicken's cooking time.
- Serve warm with a light drizzle of tahini and parsley.
Honeyed sweet potatoes on whipped feta:
- Toss the halved sweet potatoes with honey and seasoning. Place onto the braai and cook until well charred.
- Whip feta in a blender with the rest of the ingredients and spoon onto a plate.
- Place potatoes on feta and garnish with pomegranates and fresh herbs.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Use a foil tray or braai pan below your rotisserie chicken to catch all the juices as it cooks. Great to use as a base for a sauce afterwards.
Not keen on so much heat? Replace your red chillies with jalapeños or leave out completely.
Bring more colour into your dish with rainbow carrots instead of normal carrots.