Can’t get enough of potjie cooking? Impress your dinner guests not only with our popular lamb potjie but also with this original Megamaster Potjie Mud Cake recipe. It’s death by chocolate with a hint of beer.
- 90ml all-purpose flour
- 25ml baking powder
- 30ml sugar
- 75ml milk
- 15ml cacao (heaped teaspoon)
- 30ml beer
- Light your fire. It will take a while for the coals to be ready, so get it going before you start mixing your ingredients together.
- Mix all ingredients together in a quarter potjie. Make sure there are no lumps.
- If you're using a charcoal braai, make sure to spread out the coals before positioning your pot. An open fire is extremely hot; much hotter than an oven with regulated heat. We recommend putting your pot on the grid of your braai rather than directly on the coals – you can put one small coal on top of the potjie's lid.
- Close the lid of your braai and keep it closed for at least 10 minutes before you take a peek.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The sooner you take your cake off the heat, the more fudgy and lava-like it will be. Remember: if you added chocolate to the mix, testing if your cake is cooked with a toothpick won't work. It will come out covered in melted chocolate.
- Serve immediately. Cast iron retains heat very well so even after you've taken your cake off the heat, it will continue baking.
- Garnish with custard or ice cream – or even more chocolate.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
You can make this recipe on any braai that has a lid that can close: a kettle, charcoal trolley, or gas braai.
If you’re using a gas braai, pre-heat your braai with the lid closed. Once you reach a consistent temperature of 180-200 degrees Celsius, you’re good to go.
Spice up your mud cake by adding diced chocolate, biscuits, Astros, marshmallows, and so on.