- 30ml oil
- 500g cubed beef
- 500g ox kidney
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400ml beef stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon Steak & Chops spice
- 1 tablespoon Barbecue spice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak a handful of oak wood chips for at least 30 minutes before braaing.
- Preheat your Megamaster Coalsmith Series Alpha Grill & Smoker to a high heat and add wood chips.
- Season steak and kidney with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan over a hot fire.
- Brown steak and kidney, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion, spices, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Deglaze pan with stock. Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, and dissolve flour in the pan.
- Stir together and close the smoker to leave to simmer for about 30 minutes until thickened.
- When pie filling is ready, transfer filling into Megamaster 1/4 Potjie pots.
- Cover the pots with puff pastry, seal the edges with a fork and brush the top with the egg wash.
- Get the smoker up to 180ºC and add a handful of soaked oak wood chips to your hot coals.
- Place potjie pots in the main chamber of the smoker, cover and allow to bake for 1 hour, until top is golden.
- Serve hot.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Maintain the heat of your Megamaster smoker by adding more hot coals.
Ensure store-bought puff pastry is completely thawed before using.
If you can't find kidneys, or if you don't enjoy them, you can replace with mushrooms.