Is there anything better than chicken wings? Yes, spicy Asian wings! Add this to your next braai tapas platter, it is sure to be a hit! Add a fresh tzatziki or cheese sauce and you’re golden.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1kg chicken wings
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, fleshly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Place wings in a resealable bag and pour over the soy sauce, ginger, cilantro, garlic, honey, olive oil and lemon juice. Make sure to coat all the wings and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
2. Remove wings from the bag and keep the marinade aside for later use.
3. Season the wings with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat your braai to low heat.
5. Braai the wings, by turning and basting regularly with the marinade you kept aside. Make sure not to baste too much at a time, only brush a thin layer. The basting can burn easily and cause flare ups if it drips of your wings.
6. Remove the wings when they are sticky and cooked.
7. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Don’t enjoy wings? The marinade works perfectly on pork ribs too!
Turn up the heat by adding your favourite hot sauce or freshly chopped chilli to the marinade.
Impress your guests and serve these Asian-themed wings with hoisin roasted asparagus, miso-glazed carrots or garlic roasted potatoes.