Prep time: Overnight
Cook time: 45 minutes - 1 hour
- 2 whole chickens
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 lemons, juiced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- fresh red and green chillies, to taste
- 8 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a food processor “blitz” together the garlic, onion, chillies, bay leaves and lemon juice.
- When all of these ingredients are finely minced, set your food processor to a low speed and slowly add the olive oil.
- Use the mixture to thoroughly coat your chickens.
- Cover basted chicken and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, grill on coals or gas grill for 45 minutes to an hour, turning occasionally.
If you’re using gas, only turn on the side burners to start.
If you’re using coals, scrape them to around the edges of your chicken. We don’t want heat directly beneath the birds.
Turn on the middle burners, or scrape coals beneath the bird, during the last 15 minutes of cooking.