- 500ml all-purpose flour
- 125ml sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup ground mopane worms
FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
- 300g dark chocolate
- 150ml cream
FOR CREAM TOPPING:
- 500ml cream
- 100g powdered sugar
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, sugar, 125ml milk and melted butter.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and ground mopane worms. Add to the egg mixture.
- Add the rest of the milk to form a smooth batter (stop stirring once smooth).
- If you don't have a Megamaster Steak Plate, use a normal baking tray or pan to cook your flapjacks. Place your pan/tray or steak plate on the braai to get hot. Tip: If you are using a charcoal braai, make sure your coals are hot and there are no open flames.
- Add butter to your pan/steak plate to make sure your batter won't stick.
- Add a spoonful of batter to your hot pan to bake. Once your flapjacks start forming bubbles, flip to cook on the other side until golden brown. Tip: Make sure your pan doesn't get too hot otherwise your flapjack will burn and not cook through properly.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Tip: To create a DIY double boiler, place a pot on the braai, filled about halfway with water. Place another, smaller pot on top, making sure it doesn't touch the water. Add the chocolate into the top pot.
- Bring water to the boil to melt the chocolate, then remove from heat.
- Add the cream little by little, until it's the right consistency.
- Whisk or blend the cream until it stiffens.
- Add the sugar little by little until the cream develops soft peaks.
- Layer your flapjacks with cream and chocolate ganache – build a tower of layers for an impressive presentation.
- If your flapjacks are still hot, your cream will melt a bit, so serve immediately. Or wait for them to cool down a bit before adding cream.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Use dark chocolate to balance out the sweetness.
You can use a coffee grinder to prepare the worms.
If you use salted butter, there's no need to add additional salt.