To butter on the inside or not; yes, or no to chutney, which cheese? No more guesswork to make the best braai broodjie you’ve ever had! Kevin Wright, or better known as the Meat Ranger, won gold twice with his braai broodjie recipe.
8 slices of your favourite bread
2 red onions, sliced
5 medium Rose tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups grated gouda cheese
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 pack light cheese sauce
4 gherkins, thinly sliced
1 cup mild peppadews, diced
200 g melted butter
- On low heat, caramelize your red onion slices with balsamic vinegar and sugar. You can use a Megamaster 260 Round Pan and make your onions right on the braai.
- Mix your grated cheese together, and set it aside.
- Lay out your slice of bread, and spread mayonnaise on the one side and chutney on the other.
- Add your filling in this order: onions, gherkins, tomatoes, peppadews, and grated cheese.
- Close the braai broodjie and add it to your Folding Grid.
- Using a Megamaster Basting Brush and Bowl, brush the outside of your braai broodjie with melted butter.
- Turn regularly for 20-25 minutes till golden brown and melted.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
For the best cheesy pull, add a little cheese sauce to your braai broodjie.
For best results, make sure your coals aren’t too hot to burn your braai broodjie. Your grid should be about 30cm above the coals.
Tomato can make the bread soggy quickly, so you want to build up a ‘shield’ of other ingredients before you add it.