Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
4 - 6 people
- 1.8kg chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 1 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, adjust to taste
- ½ - 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- green onions, sliced for garnish
- Place the chicken pieces in a large self-sealing bag and season.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha, tomato sauce, ginger, cumin, lemon juice and garlic.
- Pour marinade into the self-sealing bag with the chicken. Thoroughly mix so chicken is covered with marinade.
- Seal and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 3 hours or overnight for best results.
- When ready to cook - remove chicken from the fridge, and careful drain. Set marinade aside.In a small saucepan simmer the remaining Huli Huli marinade for about 5 minutes.
- Adjust taste with chicken broth, pepper and/or tomato sauce. If you want a thicker sauce then add more tomato sauce.
- Braaiing: Oil your braai grate and add chicken. Braai for about 10 - 15 minutes each side. You may baste with cooked marinade towards the last 5 minutes of braaiing.
Serve your Huli Huli chicken on skewers with diced pineapple, fresh herbs and sticky bbq dipping sauce.
Use the same Huli Huli marinade for tasty, Hawaiian inspired pork chops.
Make a simple salad using diced leftover Huli Huli Chicken pieces, lettuce, red onions, yellow peppers, feta cheese, and diced mango. Serve with a simple vinaigrette.