Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 - 45 minutes
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 heads of garlic
- a handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 150g feta cheese
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Light your charcoal fire or preheat your gas braai to a medium heat ± 150°C or until you can hold your hand over the braai grid for 3 - 4 seconds. Place the whole aubergines and the unpeeled heads of garlic on the braai.
- Turning occasionally, cook for 35 - 45 minutes, depending on the size of aubergine and temperature of the fire.
- The garlic will be ready first. When the flesh feels soft, remove from the braai. Separate the cloves and squeeze the soft flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- The aubergine is done when soft and collapsing in on itself. Remove from the braai, slice in half and scoop out the flesh without tearing the skins and place to one side.
- Mix and lightly mash the aubergine flesh with the garlic, crumble in feta and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Divide your mixture into the aubergine skins. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Want something meatier? Replace aubergine mix with minced beef.
Be confident with cooking! Experiment with ingredients, herbs, spices and flavour combinations.
Aubergine skins too charred? No problem! Use the flesh for a great dip, puree or side dish.