- 2 cobs corn, braaied and with kernels cut from the core
- 2 cobs corn, kernels cut from the cob and processed until a paste forms (you can also grate the mielies)
- 1 clove garlic, halved and slowly braaied and mashed with a fork
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup polenta
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped spring onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
FOR STICKY BACON:
- 500g streaky bacon
- 3 tablespoons melted honey
FOR SWEET PEPPER SALSA:
- 4-6 baby red peppers, charred and chopped
- Handful fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Sour cream to serve
- Fresh basil and rocket to serve
- Mix all the fritter ingredients together until a batter forms. Start with 1/4 cup milk and add more if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or pan.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into the oil per fritter and spread it out a little.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the bubbles break through to the top and the colour turns golden. Turn the heat down if it starts burning.
- Cook bacon rashers on the braai, brushing with honey towards the end.
- Toss the chopped, charred peppers with the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve the fritters with bacon and pepper salsa. Top with fresh basil and rocket – a dollop of sour cream rounds it off beautifully.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
You can replace the Cheddar with feta or blue cheese.
When using your Megamaster tabletop gas braai for the first time, don’t forget to buy gas!
To add a sweet twist, leave out the garlic, spring onion and pepper, and enjoy with berries and honey instead.