No gathering is complete without a delicious dessert to end the meal. But we’re not talking just any dessert. We’re talking about our unforgettable date and pecan nut dessert made in a potjie pot on your fire. It’s time to really impress the family!
- 250g Dates, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Fine Ginger
- 100g Pecan Nuts, roughly chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Chop the dates and add them to your enamel potjie with the bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the butter and sugar to the dates.
- Mix well and allow to simmer at low heat on your grill, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, add the eggs and mix well.
- Add what’s left of the batter ingredients and mix well.
- Cover your potjie and cook further on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the toffee sauce in a small pot or panand bring to a
boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Pour the toffee sauce over the dessert and allow the sauce to drain.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Check the bake of the dessert by inserting a small knife. If the blade comes out clean, it’s ready.
The sauce is ready when it’s smooth and has a rich toffee colour.
Serve with cream, ice cream or custard for the best result.