Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 250g Dates, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Fine Ginger
- 100g Pecan Nuts, roughly chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Chop the dates and add them to your potjie with the bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the butter and sugar to the dates.
- Mix well and allow to simmer at low heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, add the eggs and mix well.
- Add what’s left of the batter ingredients and mix well.
- Cover your potjie and bake at medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the toffee sauce in a small pot or pan and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the toffee sauce over the baked dessert and allow the sauce to drain.
Check the bake of the dessert by inserting a small knife. If the blade comes out clean, it’s ready.
The sauce is ready when it’s smooth and has a rich toffee colour.
Serve with cream, ice cream or custard for the best result.