- 1kg beef chuck with bone
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300g carrots
- 1 litre water (4 cups)
- Chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Sunflower oil
- Rinse meat and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and cut onions and garlic into smaller pieces.
- In large pot, heat the oil at medium to high and brown the meat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Peel and cut the carrots into pieces, then add to the pot. Add the tomato paste and stir well. Cook for another few minutes. Add half the water and combine.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Season with chilli flakes, salt and pepper, and add remaining water.
- Simmer for 25 minutes or until meat is tender and the sauce is nice and thick.
MEGAMASTER RECIPE TIPS
Brown your meat and onions first to seal and release the meaty flavours before adding the stock and vegetables.
A potjie should never be stirred after adding your vegetables, otherwise it becomes a stew.
Wondering what to serve with your potjie? Roosterkoek or fresh sourdough are our favourites.