Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 - 6 people
- 12 whole jalapeño peppers
- 285g block of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 43g blue cheese
- 12 slices bacon
- sweet BBQ sauce for basting
- Cut a slit lengthwise but not all the way through on one side of the chili pepper. With a spoon, carefully remove the seeds. Gently wash under cold, running water to rid of stray seeds.
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, blue cheese and garlic powder.
- Fill each cavity with cream cheese mixture.
- Starting from the stem end, wrap the chili pepper with bacon, going around the length of the chili pepper and all the way to other end. Secure with toothpicks. Repeat with remaining peppers.
- On medium high heat braai the chili peppers, turning occasionally for about 20 minutes or until bacon is golden brown and crisp.
- Baste the chillies with BBQ sauce 2 minutes before taking them off.
- Remove from heat, discard toothpicks and serve immediately.
Let your bacon get to room temperature before use, so it cooks evenly.
Take it to the next level: Substitute jalapeños for serrano peppers which has the same appearance and taste, but can be up to nine times spicier!
Serve with ranch dressing or homemade guacamole.